Easy Shredded Chicken Burritos


I feed a very busy family.  We are always on the go, always running, and sometimes, running late.  By being able to take time on the weekends to create some make ahead food, this saves us all time, and also helps me feel good about my family being on the go.

Burritos are a great make ahead meal.  Perfect size to literally grab and go, plus you can pack a ton of flavor inside.  Instant success and always the best way to fill those bellies all week long.

Another fun fact: you can use almost anything you'd like in your burritos - there are NO rules!  Here's what I used in this week's batch:


  • flour tortillas
  • 6 chicken thighs, boiled and shredded
  • 1 can refried beans
  • 1 can corn
  • 1 cup white rice
  • 1 can Rotel
  • 1 Tablespoon taco seasoning
  • shredded cheddar cheese
I started out with 6 chicken thighs and boiled until cooked thoroughly.  Next, I pulled the meat off and set aside.  The bones and skin were tossed in the trash.


After you remove the chicken from the boiling pot, you have an ADDED BONUS!  You now have fresh, usable chicken stock!  I pour mine into a tall container and put in the fridge.  It's perfect to add into soups, gravy, or anything you need throughout the week.  

Next, I build up my fixings.  Into my shredded chicken, I add the Rotel, salt & pepper, corn, Taco Seasoning, and if you want it spicy - a couple dashes of hot sauce.



It's time for assembly!  Line up your chicken mixture, rice, beans, and cheese.  We are ready to make delicious magic!


Of course there are no rules on what order you combine your delicious fillings - just start filling!

I make enough to fit into a greased baking dish for dinner, but no worries - this makes extra!


Once your pan is filled with burrito love, then begin wrapping your extra burritos in aluminum foil or place in a Ziplock bag.  Place in the freezer.  Now you have true, grab and go burrito love.

To heat these back up, just place in a microwave under a wet papertowel, (this keeps the tortilla soft), and microwave for 1-2 minutes until heated through.


Sprinkle some shredded cheese on top of your burritos and get ready to watch the magic happen.  Cook in a 350 degree oven for 10-15 minutes, or until your cheese is bubbly.


And then you have delicious and yummy dinner, plus extras for the rest of the week!  This is a total win in my book.  And my husband is the true winner because he has the perfect grab and go burritos for the whole week.  If you have to work extra hours, you might as well have delicious food to help you through.  That's my belief anyways.


Don't forget to follow along on Instagram for foodie fun all the time!  Follow me @executivechefmom until then ....

Cheers!

Comments