Mushroom & Swiss Stuffed Chicken Breasts


Planning my weekly meals I sometimes look for something a little more fancy to brighten up the week a little.  I say this is a fancy meal, but it is one that anyone can do and do it almost every way possible. 
 
Chicken is a staple in my kitchen and I really try to come up with different ways to serve it.  Keeping the husband happy is just a perk.  I always know when I've hit a homerun with a meal ... when there is silence.  Immediately followed by, "Next time we have this ...... " - that's when I know I've hit it out of the ballpark. 
 
This is that kind of meal.  No matter what you decide to stuff it with - you will feel like the rockstar of your kitchen.
 
Where to begin ... well, with the plan.
 
What you need:
  • 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, halved
  • Mushrooms - what ever is your variety, sliced
  • 1 white onion, diced
  • 3 bulbs of garlic diced
  • 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat leaf parsley
  • Swiss cheese slices
  • 1-2 Tablespoons seasoned bread crumbs
  • Toothpicks
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Start by heating your oven to 375 degrees and greasing a glass pan.
 
This time I wanted to do mushroom and swiss and I had to add some onions and garlic to that.  Because .. well, why wouldn't you add onions and garlic?? 
 
 
 
So we start with some sautéed mushrooms, onions and diced garlic.
 
 
To enhance the flavor I chopped up some flat leaf parsley and threw in with about a tablespoon of Extra Virgin Olive Oil, salt and pepper and allowed it all to cook together. 
 
 
You have to butterfly your chicken breasts.  To do this, lay your breast flat pressing one hand on top and slicing your knife right through the middle horizontally.  Lay them out flat.
 
 
Now you want to place your chicken inside plastic wrap or a gallon Ziplock bag.  You want to make sure to place it on a chopping block or surface you are able to pound on.
 
 
Grab your mallet and then pound out evenly.  You want your breasts to all be the same width.
 
 
This is the point I set up my assembly line.  When working with raw meat like this I don't want to cross contaminate so I make sure I have everything I need before beginning.  You can see above I have my mushroom, onion, garlic and parsley sauté mix ready along with my cheese already pulled apart.  Out of picture are my toothpicks, already pulled out of the box and ready to use.
 
 
In the middle of the breast I lay two pieces of cheese, enough to cover it.  Then, add the sauté mix.  I'm officially ready to roll.
 
 
Take your breast, and starting from one end, roll over and tightly.  You want to make sure all your stuffing stays inside the breast.
 
Once rolled place your toothpicks to hold it all together.  Then place in your greased pan.
 
 
Once ready, I sprinkle some seasoned bread crumbs lightly over the top of both breasts and then place in the oven for 45 minutes.
 
At the 45 minute mark I pull out and then place Swiss cheese on the top and then change the setting on the oven to broil.  I do this so the cheese melts nicely and to give a nice color.  I also take this time to pull out my toothpicks, now that the chicken has cooked it will hold itself together. 
 
You have to watch the chicken ... it should only take 3-5 minutes on broil.
 
 
Here are my babies right out of the oven.  Mouth. Watering.  I fought off my husband with a fork.
 
Allow to cook slightly and then plate up. 
 
 
I'm telling you ... you will be called a rockstar.
 


 
 
We love this meal so much we are constantly thinking of new ideas of stuffing.  Get creative and have fun in the kitchen.  That's the point of cooking with love for your family ... enjoying every minute of it.
 
Cheers!
~Jacqui


Comments