Lightened Up Crispy Chicken Parmesan

In my home we absolutely love comfort food, but no one wants a heavy meal, especially after a long day.  In an effort to make a quick and easy dinner I actually stumbled upon this recipe on accident.  That’s right, by accident.  When you have something turn out amazing without trying … well, I like to call that a happy accident.  Maybe a yummy, happy accident. 

A good portion of my favorite meals to cook for my family tend to be either Italian or Mexican in flavors and this one is a great fusion between both.  As we start to transition from Summer into Fall, I start to bring out my family favorite recipes.  It’s truly my favorite time of year because there are fun, annual traditions we enjoy, and of course, all the delicious fall food!

When I said that I stumbled upon this recipe by accident, I wasn’t joking.  As much as you do meal planning and grocery shopping, there are some nights where you just have to veer off the plan.  Time can be an issue, what sounds good for dinner can also be an issue, and that was the scenario on this night.  My youngest decided that nothing sounded good.  I had already thawed out some chicken breasts so I knew those had to be cooked, but she didn’t feel like some chicken stir fry.  What does a Mom do in this situation?  Panic?  Scream?  Call and order pizza?  Well … I did think about the pizza option, but no, I went to the pantry. 

Panko breadcrumbs.  Check.  Parmesan cheese.  Check.  I knew what I could cook: chicken parmesan.  I soon discovered I had no pasta sauce though.  I almost decided to go a different route, but it was too late.  I had the idea of chicken parmesan in my mind and there was no way I was going to not cook it.  I figured I would figure out the sauce as I went.  And I found it in an unlikely place.  A jar in the fridge.  Here’s how it goes. 

You’ll need:
·         1-2 chicken breasts, cut thinly
·         2 cups Panko breadcrumbs
·         2 cups shredded Parmesan cheese
·         1 tablespoon chopped parsley
·         2 eggs
·         2 cups chunky salsa

Start off by setting up your breading station.  Grab 3 bowls, or large plates for your 3 different dippers.  Fill one with your Parmesan cheese, another with the 2 eggs and chopped parsley whisked together, and the third with the Panko breadcrumbs.






Salt your chicken breasts and then dip in your Parmesan cheese, then in the egg mix, and finally in the Panko bowl.  Set aside. 



Grab a skillet and pour enough oil in to just coat the pan.  Place 1-2 of your breaded chicken breasts in at a time.  Cook on each side for 4-5 minutes, and then set on a paper towel lined plate to allow the excess oil to drip off. 



For a standard chicken parmesan, you would then cook noodles and add melted cheese and pasta sauce, but I wanted not only less work in the kitchen, but I wanted a lighter version.  This is where I needed to turn to my fridge for my answer. 

Plate your cooked chicken breasts and sprinkle on some extra Parmesan cheese right on top.  Finally, the sauce.  I opened the fridge.  Definitely no extra pasta sauce there.  But I did have a jar of my favorite chunky salsa.  It’s tomatoes!  It’s light!  It’s perfect!  I topped off my breaded chicken breasts with the salsa and magic happened. 





I stumbled upon a lighter version of the same flavors from my favorite chicken parmesan!  The crispiness of the breaded chicken with the bite of the Parmesan cheese, along with the freshness of the chunky salsa was just spot on.  I encourage you to give this one a try!  

Comments