Chicken Burrito Bowl


Let me just start off by saying this: YOU WILL BE MAKING THIS.  A LOT.

I wanted something different but fun.  And easy!  So I started my brain and waited.  Had a delicious cup of Vanilla coffee and then thought about some new ideas around chicken.

This was a natural meal for me because I seriously had every single ingredient on hand.

I also had to think about a way my husband would love it as well because he's not really into the 'bowl' thing.  So .... I needed a way to incorporate this into a way he would want it as well.  And thus .... my delicious and easy Chicken Burrito Bowl was born.

This is a perfect make ahead dish or freezer meal too!  So get ready ... you will be making this very soon.  Be prepared to be filled with delicious goodness.


So here is what you are going to need:

  • 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1" cubes
  • 1 can Enchilada sauce (mild or hot!)
  • 2 cups brown (or white) rice
  • 1 white onion diced
  • 4-5 cloves of garlic chopped finely
  • 1 can black beans, drained
  • 2 cups shredded Sharp Cheddar (or Pepper Jack!) cheese
  • 1 T Garlic Salt
  • 2 T Cumin
  • 2 tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
  • 2 tsp Minced Onion
  • 1-2 Roma tomatoes diced  (garnish)
  • 4-5 green onions diced (garnish)
  • 1-2 avocados diced (garnish)
  • sour cream (garnish)



First off we need to prep.  I started by dicing up the white onion.  This bowl of the diced onion was done with about 2 tablespoons of my own tears.  I really love my family.


Next up, pound each garlic clove and then dice up!  Set aside with your (tear-filled) diced onions.



In order to be consistent and before I started handling the raw chicken I went ahead and diced up my tomatoes and green onions.  Then through the rest of the meal I got to look at this beautifully colorful plate:


I know .... it's pretty.  Pretty as a picture.


So now that I've prepped all other ingredients I can now clear the space and pull out the chicken.  Depending on the thickness of your chicken breasts, you may need to filet in half and then cut into cubes.  This is how I did mine.  Perfect little 1" cubes of chicken!


Here's the multi-tasking kicking in .... I started the water for my rice and had it going, (I think 5 minute rice is a God-send.) and then added some olive oil to my pan and once hot, added in my chicken pieces.  While these are cooking up, stir and flavor with salt and pepper.  Cook thoroughly.


Once the chicken is cooked add in the onions and garlic and saute until the onions are soft and clear.  MMMMMMMMM.


Now we are going to build our bowl.
To the saucepan with your chicken, onions and garlic, add in your rice, beans and seasonings.



Now we are going to pour in our Enchilada sauce to bring it all together.


Stir it all together and cook over low-medium heat for about 7 minutes.


Lastly, turn off the heat and then add the cheese to the top.  Do not mix in, just allow the heat to melt it over top.  Let sit for about 5 minutes.  Drool.


I then plated up a bowl and topped with garnish and then added some chips for some crunch.  My husband took flour tortillas and added the mixture in and wrapped up.



It was utterly delicious.  I'm not going to lie.


This made enough for my husband and I for dinner, plus we each took a portion for lunches for work Monday and still had about 1 portion left in the fridge.  (I don't think it will last as soon as my husband gets home from work - it will quickly become a midnight snack, I'm sure.)

This is why I say you will be making this soon and a lot.  It's just so easy, ingredients on hand and a great budget-friendly meal.

This can be a perfect make ahead or freezer meal as well!  Once you have the mixture all together in the saucepan, before adding the cheese - just pull off the heat and transfer to a dish.  Wrap and then when ready, pop in the oven at 350 to reheat for about 20 minutes and then top with the cheese right before serving.

I hope you enjoy and I hope you try this!

~Cheers!
Jacqui

Comments