Avocado Fries!


So here we are ... enjoying one of my most favorite foods - the avocado.

I could honestly put avocado in and on everything, so it was only natural to attempt the ultimate food: the avocado fries.

This was one of the recipes I've been wanting to try for quite awhile now.  Tonight it was the night.  It's Monday and I attempt to try to stick to the fun Meatless Monday theme.  Why not have some fun with the delicious avocados I had sitting on my counter?  I simply couldn't resist.

I enjoy having GOOD food in my house.  And even better, a new recipe to play with my yummy food.  SCORE.  These little beauties are easy to prepare and made with very little ingredients so you basically have everything on hand.

What do you need:
  • 1-2 avocados
  • 2 tablespoons flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt & 1 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 teaspoon Paprika (or Smoked Paprika)
  • 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
  • 2 eggs - 1 egg white & 1 whole egg, mixed


Start off by slicing your avocado in half.  Then, to get the pit out, simply put your knife in and twist out.



Now we are going to make our FRIES!  Simply slice into pieces with the peel still on.

At this point, you can start pre-heating your oven to Broil.


Now we need to make our batter and coating.  What I chose to do instead of using pure egg whites, is to use the white from one egg and then the entire egg on the second.  Mix well.





Now get our batter ready.  Add your flour, salt, pepper, Paprika and Parmesan cheese.  Combine together in a shallow bowl.


Now, spray your cookie sheet or glass pan with non-stick spray.


First off we need to remove the peel from each slice.  These will simply pull off nicely.  Set aside and get ready to get messy!



Dip your avocado slice into your flour mixture, then the egg wash and then once more in the batter.


Once coated, set on your glass pan or cookie sheet and prepare to bake!


Go ahead and bake on Broil for about 5-10 minutes.  Once you start to see the first side browning, pull out and flip over with a fork.


Once flipped, place back into the oven on Broil for another 5-10 minutes.  I keep my oven light on so I can keep an eye on my lovely fries so I know exactly when it's time to pull them out.


And here is my final picture.  To add a little fun I diced up one small Roma tomato for garnish.  Tomatoes and avocados go very well together ... simply my opinion of course.


So to complete my Meatless Monday meal, I paired a side of black beans with my amazing Avocado Fries.  This is a truly perfect meal for me.  I love my black beans, I love my avocados and this was a great pairing.  My husband on the other hand, had he been home he probably would have been asking, "where's the real dinner?"  So I guess it's a good thing it was Girl's Night in my home this Monday.  ;)

~Cheers!
Jacqui

Comments