Easy Taco Soup

 
I don't know about you guys, but I love a good soup.  Especially an easy soup that I can whip up in 30 minutes and make it taste like it's been cooking all day.  This is also known as the Magical Mom Ability.  

My Taco Soup is a super simple recipe that you can make with possibly things you already have on hand and quick enough that it becomes a perfect weeknight meal.  It's also filled with veggies so you can be a happy Mom when serving it to the family.  

This is probably one of my go-to soups throughout the year because it's so easy and because it's easy on the wallet.  So ... what do we need?


  • 1 can, or one bag of frozen, sweet yellow corn
  • 1 can bean, (I prefer black beans, but any will do)
  • 1 can diced tomatoes, (I use fire roasted for a yummy taste)
  • 1 can of Rotel, (to make it spicy use Hot Rotel)
  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 1 white onion chopped finely
  • 1 packet of Taco Seasoning, (or if like me & you make your own - use about 1/4 cup)
  • 2 cans water
  • Sour cream, (optional for toppings)
  • Cilantro (optional for toppings)
  • Guacamole (optional for toppings)
  • Shredded Cheese (optional for toppings)

First start browning your ground beef, (you can use turkey as well!) and season with salt and pepper to taste.  Once browned add in your chopped onions and allow to cook through.


Now add in your Taco Seasoning and water, (either 2 cans or 2 cups).  Stir together well.


Bring on the easy part!!  Now, add in your corn, (if frozen make sure it's thawed completely), beans, can of tomatoes and can of Rotel.  Mix all together over medium heat.


Depending on your taste buds you can choose to spice up your Taco Soup at this point.  I add about 1 tablespoon of Cayenne Pepper to give it a little bite.  TOTALLY OPTIONAL - especially if your kids are too little to handle spice, I would leave it out completely and use Mild Rotel.


Continue to stir your yummy mixture and turn your heat down to low and just keep it at a low simmer for anywhere from 20-40 minutes.  All the flavors are coming together and getting delicious.  



That is it!!  Serve up and add any toppings you want.  I love Cilantro so I add that on top along with some shredded cheese, but sour cream, guacamole and even tortilla strips are a fun addition.  


Such an easy soup, anyone can make this and everyone will enjoy it.  Double the ingredients if making for more than 4-6 people.  For me, we eat on this batch throughout the week and I love taking it as lunch to work during the week by quickly re-heating in the microwave and bringing my toppings in a separate Ziplock bag.

Try this one out and let me know what you think!

~Cheers!
Jacqui 

Comments