Loaded Chicken Potato Casserole - A Success Story



So.  I needed to come up with something to do with the bag of potatoes that I just had to buy while at the store last Sunday.  I mean, a 5 lb bag of potatoes for only $1??  Who doesn't buy that??

Insert the obvious suggestions: Potato Soup, Baked Potatoes, Twice Baked Potatoes .... however I wanted a full meal.  And I wanted something more than just potatoes.  The search was on.

I stopped at the store after work yesterday to pick up some juice and saw chicken breasts - I figured, if nothing else I can at least grill up some chicken with a side dish of potatoes.  In the cart it went.

All day today I was racking my brain trying to figure out what I was going to do.  Then it hit me.  Why am I making this complicated?  Let's throw some things together and see what happens.  

And I did.

And I succeeded.

And I reveled in the glory.

Here is my success story.


We really don't need a lot for this one.  Which instantly makes it a favorite for me.  Let's put this in the chapter of Things You Can Make From Your Pantry.
  • 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into 1" chunks
  • 6-7 pieces cooked bacon, cut into bits
  • 5-6 medium russet potatoes cut into 1" chunks
  • 1 white onion cut into chunks
  • 4 green onions sliced
  • 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
  • 4-5 slices Havarti cheese
  • 1/3 cup oil
  • 2 tablespoons Paprika
  • 2 tablespoons Garlic Salt
  • Hot Sauce (I prefer Louisiana Hot Sauce - this is completely optional, but to add some heat you'll want this.  Could substitute Sriracha)
Start by cubing your chicken breasts, onion and potatoes.

Coat a large baking dish with the oil, paprika, garlic salt and (optional) hot sauce.  Mix together.  Then, add in the potatoes, chicken and onions.  Combine well.  That's right ... get your hands in there.


Heat the oven to 400 degrees and then cook your starchy goodness for 60 minutes.  Now we just sit back and smell the aroma of love coming out of your kitchen.  And maybe pick up the living room that your almost 5 year old has just constructed the biggest pillow fort ever made.  Then have at least a 10 minute conversation about why it would be fun to see who could pick them up the fastest and the winner gets to play with Play Doh in the Living Room.  Perhaps I've added a few extra steps.


About halfway through you'll want to toss the mixture ... and the smells from the oven will tempt you to taste a bite, but resist! 


When the timer sounds, pull the dish out and top with the Havarti cheese slices and then your shredded cheddar cheese.  Turn your oven to Broil and put the dish back in.


There truly is such a thing as love at first sight.  (see above picture)  The cheese is melted, slightly browned .... you only want to cook until you get to that point.  My science is keeping the oven light on and watching it all happen.


Now, add the goodies!  Green onions and bacon bits.  Another great topping for this would be avocado.  If only I had an avocado .... *insert sad face.


Plate up in shallow bowl and then, slowly drizzle with Ranch dressing.  Sour cream is another option.  Just an idea...


So here you have it.  My success story.  The chicken and the potatoes work beautiful together and the seasoning is garlic-y and just a touch spicy.  It's a complete and utter homerun.  Topped with the bacon and green onion I feel like I'm eating an appetizer and not a dinner.  It's fabulous! 

And I cannot wait to make this again.  I bet you will too.  

Cheers!
~Jacqui 

Comments