Cinco de Mayo Ideas ...



In my world one of the next big holidays after Valentine's Day just happens to be Cinco de Mayo ... and let me just say ... I love my Cinco celebrations.

Whether it's the good food, good friends or great laughs, Cinco de Mayo is certainly a holiday I look forward to.

I'm always on the hunt for good ideas for Cinco and this week I was in the mood.  Out of the 6 meals I cooked this week; 3 of them were mexican inspired.  Not that my husband minds.  I'm just ... practicing.


Let's start off with the taco.  Everyone has their own way of making tacos, right?  If not, get to practicing and find your way!  Mine is pretty straight forward.  The only thing I might add differently is lime and garlic in my meat.  I mince up about 2 cloves of garlic nice and small and add in when cooking my meat, then zest 1 lime and squeeze in the juice when adding my spices.  Heat through and serve up.  I love a crispy taco and my husband happens to like soft.  We are truly a divided house.

Best compliment to tacos?  Black beans of course.  I again add zest and lime juice to my beans with a nice helping of salt to taste.  Another difference?  I only eat my black beans cold.  Now, I will eat them warm/hot when out or it's served that way to me, but cooking at home I only eat them cold.  Is this a Mexican thing?  



Next up this week were my spice chicken fajitas.  YUM.  I could probably eat fajitas every day of the week.  Not joking.

Again, pretty straight forward.  I cut my boneless, skinless chicken breasts into strips, season with salt and pepper and skillet fry in about 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil.  Once cooked through add in your fajita mix.  Mine consists of chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin and a touch of cayenne.  Next, toss in your sliced peppers and onions and continue to cook for about 3-5 minutes.  I like my veggies with a bite so I don't cook mine long.  

Serve up in warm tortillas and add any toppings you desire.  

Finally, this week had a surprise holiday thrown in: National Margarita Day on Feb 22nd!  How does one celebrate??  With a signature Margarita, of course!


Mix up your favorite Margarita mixture.  It could even be store bought if that's easier.  In a large cup mix 3 parts Margarita mix to 1 part orange juice.  Place another cup on top to create a seal and shake to combine the ingredients.  Fill a glass with some ice, then pour your Margarita mix over.  For garnish, add lime and a couple sprigs of cilantro.  (cilantro optional - I know not everyone is a fan)

This Margarita is in the same category as Bloody Mary's, Mimosa's and even Fuzzy Navels for me.  It's fun and a different spin on the normal Margarita.

What are some of your favorite Mexican-inspired, go-to meals?  Have fun with your food and make something yummy!

Cheers!
~Jacqui

Comments