Pasta Carbonara



This meal was the very first meal I remember cooking.  I grew up with my Mom cooking this who learned it from the Italian couple who lived across the hall from her and my Father when they first lived together.  This recipe holds many memories for me and is one of my 'signature' dishes.

It's filling, it's easy and most of all, delicious.

I have been cutting carbs at dinner so this meal was my splurge meal for the week.  It was so worth it.

Getting started is easy.  You'll need:

  • Spaghetti
  • 1 package bacon, diced and crisp
  • 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
  • 3 eggs
  • Garlic Salt
  • Italian Seasoning
  • Crushed Red Pepper flakes
  • Parmesan Cheese



Start out by slicing the bacon into strips.  Mmmmm, bacon.


Next, dice your garlic cloves.  


Heat your skillet, then add your sliced bacon and garlic.  There are few things sweeter in the world then bacon and garlic in the same skillet.  *Warning: your house will begin to smell amazing at this point.  Try to contain the drool.

While this amazing thing is happening in the skillet, heat a large pot of water to boiling.



Now we are going to get our mixture ready.  Take your eggs and add Garlic Salt, Italian Seasoning and crushed red pepper flakes.  I do this without measuring, just to my taste.  Whisk this together until mixed completely.


Add a nice palmful of salt to your boiling water and then add in your spaghetti.  You want to cook your pasta until al dente.


I may frame this picture.  

Once your bacon and garlic crisp up, remove from the skillet and drain the grease on a paper towel.  Set aside until your pasta is cooked.


Drain your pasta then place back into the pasta pot.  Add in your egg mixture.


Begin stirring in your egg mixture.  The heat from the pot and the pasta cook the eggs.  You will coat all the pasta completely.



Add in about 1 cup of Parmesan cheese and all your bacon/garlic.


Combine all ingredients.  It is so hard for me not to dig in while it's all still in the pot.  I have to hold myself back.


And there you go.  Top with a little more Parmesan cheese and serve.  I told you: quick, easy and delicious.  You can make this a perfect 30-minute, weeknight meal or as a fun date night in.  Every so often we will dress up a little and add sauteed mushrooms or even tomatoes. 


Cheers!
~Jacqui

Total cost: $8.00, makes 4 servings
Cost per serving: $2.00

Comments