Orange BBQ Pulled Pork | Crockpot Love

 
 
 
I love a tasty and easy meal and this is one of those.  On the weekends between catching up on housework from during the week to running errands and making time for my family I like to try and enjoy meal time.  The best way I have found to do that is to save myself a lot of time in the kitchen.  Crockpot meals are truly the best way to save time in the kitchen. 
 
My husband and I love doing BBQ Pork and this time around I wanted something with some citrus.  When at the grocery store I look for inspiration and this week I found it in the oranges.  They smelled so sweet I could almost taste them in my meal.  I knew I had to incorporate them somehow.  Thus this meal was born.
 
 
Simple ingredients here, (another great reason I love crockpot meals - not a lot of added 'junk').  Simple meals without a lot of ingredients are not only easier but make me feel so much better about serving them to my family.  Here's what you will need:
 
  • Your favorite BBQ sauce.  I chose a Honey flavored BBQ sauce to mix with my citrus.
  • 2 oranges plus the zest from both.
  • 1 pork roast trimmed
  • Orange juice
  • 1 tablespoon honey
As with most crockpot meals there isn't a lot of prep involved, yet another reason I love them.  I can start this first thing in the morning before running errands and I don't have to babysit it.
 
Place your roast in the bottom of your crockpot.  Zest both your oranges on top of the roast. 
 
 
This smells so amazing just by itself.  My hands smelled like orange all day.  I didn't complain one bit.
 
Peel the oranges and place in with the roast.  I started just laying slices all around.
 
 
Next, pour your BBQ sauce over it all.  It smells soooo delicious right now, I can't even explain it.
 
 
Next I added about 2 cups of orange juice, then my 1 tablespoon of honey.  That's it.  Simple and delicious.
 
 
Let it cook throughout the day ... closer to dinner time take two forks and start 'pulling' the pork - it will start falling apart on you.  This is what I like to call the goodness. 
 
We served ours up on buns with a side salad, but could serve with beans, chips, coleslaw ... almost anything.  This makes about 6 servings - another reason this is such a great meal because my husband will eat on it for the next few days.  We never seem to waste these leftovers.  That's the sign of a good meal.
 
 
Try this easy meal out next time you are looking for something that is delicious, takes little effort and will make your family ask for more. 
 
Cheers!
~Jacqui
 
Total Cost of the meal: $8.00
Price per serving: (serves 6) $1.34/serving


Comments