Weeknight Stir Fry



So during a busy week it can be a little daunting to make a nice healthy dinner.  The easy option is always take out, but so much sodium and fat and ... let's be honest, you never really know what's in that food.

You want a good, healthy dinner but don't want to spend hours in the kitchen after a long day.  What's a good compromise?  Stir Fry!

Stir Fry of course can be any meat you want, shrimp, steak, pork, chicken.  When I did my grocery trip my local store had some great deals on steaks so I was able to pick up two for about $6.

We start with our essentials:
  • Meat
  • 2-3 cloves of garlic pealed and finely chopped
  • 1 lemon
  • 2 green peppers
  • 1 can of baby corn
  • Soy Sauce
  • White/Brown rice
  • (optional) Rice Noodles to add some crunch
This whole meal cooked in about 20 minutes.  For a weeknight meal that's pretty darn good in my book.

This has got to be one of the best smells in the entire world.  Steak, butter, garlic and salt & pepper.  Maybe I should print this and frame it.

I didn't want to overcook my steaks, so you just want them cooked enough but still a little pink on the inside.  This keeps them nice and juicy.

While that is cooking, open, drain and rinse your baby corn.  Set aside.  Next, core and slice your green peppers.  Set aside.  Cut your lemon in half and squeeze over your steak.  (using lemon is completely optional and you may not even want to add it at all - I love the citrus tang in my food so I use it to pair with the Soy Sauce)

We need to multi task just a little here and make our rice.  Taking a beautiful dinner shortcut is Minute Rice.  Boil your water, add salt and butter and allow your rice to steam.  Perfection in 5 minutes.  Simple pleasures.

Once the steak still has some pink left in the centers, take out and chop on chopping block into bite size pieces/strips.  Add back into the skillet with some Soy Sauce to your taste and your veggies.  Cook together for about 5 minutes to bring all the flavors together.  I love a little crunch in my veggies so I don't let them cook long.  

Then it's dinner time.

Take a plate, (or bowl) and place your rice.  Add some fresh Soy Sauce to your rice for a little flavor.
Top with your glorious steak and veggie stir fry and serve. 


Cost for the entire meal: $14.00
Serves: 4
Cost per serving: $3.50

~Cheers!

 

Comments