Salisbury Steak Night

 It's a Saturday and today has been one of those amazing, lazy days for us at our house.  We have recently hit some lovely winter weather so I've been doing my best to keep my pantry stocked with snacks, meals and essentials. 

In the break of the snow storms I wanted a good comforting meal tonight.  First thing that came to mind when I did my meal planning was Salisbury Steak.  One of my favorites and one that just doesn't really get into the rotation as much as I'd like. 

This one is pretty budget friendly and pretty easy to make.  I think the gravy throws people off, but honestly, it's a great go-to meal for any night of the week. 

What you are going to need:
  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 1 white onion
  • 1 package of mushroons
  • 2 packages of low sodium brown gravy
  • Bread crumbs
  • Garlic powder
  • Salt & Pepper to taste 
  • Italian Seasoning
Basically we want to make patties.  Think of hamburgers when making these.   Get your meat in a large mixing bowl, add the bread crumbs, (just kind of eyeball the amount - you just want your patties to stick) and the seasonings to taste.  Form into patties.  With one pound of meat I made four patties.

While you are waiting to get to cooking these bad boys .... you want to start your gravy.  I took a nice, store short cut and used *gasp* used packaged brown gravy.  You mix the gravy mix with water over medium heat until you get a nice, thick consistency.  Then turn down to simmer.

Now ... start heating your skillet with a little bit of olive oil.  You are going to cook your patties.  Once hot, put them in and allow to cook on one side without moving them for about 5 minutes.  Then flip.

While that's going, take your onion and mushrooms and sliced into small pieces.  Toss these into the skillet with your patties while they are still cooking.  Add salt and pepper to taste.

My husband was hanging out in the doorway of the kitchen at this point because of the smell.  Meat, onions, mushrooms ... if you added in bacon there would have been NO holding him back. 

You want your onions and mushrooms to get tender.  I turned the heat down on the skillet slightly because I didn't want my steaks to burn.  Once the onions and mushrooms are tender - take that delicious brown gravy and pour right in on top of it all. 

Oh yea, baby.  That's what I'm talking about right there.  Now that's comfort food.  I turned the heat all the way down to simmer and just let everything come together nicely. 

Then came time for the sides.  I did a quick side of green beans and mashed potatoes.  I love adding light sour cream to my potatoes for a creamy consistency.  I just let the Salisbury Steaks and gravy simmer until my sides were complete.  Then ... served it all up together.

Needless to say this is a sure-fire man-pleasing meal.  I want to say he cleared his plate in record time.  I'll take that as a score for me.  Next time you want a nice, but easy, comfort food - try this one.  Easy to make, not a pricey meal and something the whole family will enjoy. 

~Cheers!
Jacqui


Comments