Comfort Food at it's Best: Baked Penne

Some days you just feel like a nice, big comfort meal.  My family loves these types of dinners and so do I, as they make for amazing left overs and perfect to take to lunch throughout my work week.  The whole premise of my Home For Dinner Blog is about bringing the entire family around the table; breaking bread, laughing, talking about the day ... this is something we make time for in my house.  Between all the running around during the week and the sometimes crazy weekends, family dinner is the perfect time to come together and remember what family is all about. 

One of our favorite comfort food meals is my Baked Penne.  Easy yet one of the best comfort foods after a long day.  You could make this with either Italian sausage or ground beef.  I chose to use a combination of both. 

Brown your sausage and/or beef along with some minced garlic, diced green bell pepper and one diced white onion.  Add salt, pepper, Italian Seasoning and Garlic Powder for seasoning to taste.

While you have your meat and veggie mixture browning, get your pasta water ready and coming to a strong boil. 

For my sauce I went with a store shortcut because I'm going to flavor it anyway the way I want it.  I'm using the store sauce as a 'base' for mine. 

Once the water comes to a boil, add salt to your water and your pasta.  Stir to avoid the noodles from sticking together.  Pre-heat your oven to 450 degrees and lightly grease a large baking dish.

Once your meat mixture is browned, add the sauce and about 1/4 of a cup of Parmesan cheese.  Turn down to a low simmer and allow to combine flavors. 

This sauce is one of my standard red sauces - this would be good for a variety of different Italian meals, so sub into your next one.  You'll love it!

When the pasta is al dente, you want to drain and place back in the pasta pot.  Now, pour your meat sauce in and combine.  Add about half of your meat and pasta mixture into your greased baking dish.  Now add some shredded Mozzarella; a nice layer.  Then, top with the remaining pasta and sauce.  Top again with more shredded cheese.

Finally we want that cheese to melt perfectly to bring this baked penne all together.  Put in the oven and allow to cook, long enough for your cheese to melt - between 5- 8 minutes. 

Pull out and allow to cool slightly before serving. 

Serve alongside some garlic bread or a side salad and you have just made the perfect comfort food to end your day!  I've used this recipe for larger events as well, simply make double, (or more) to accommodate larger groups of people. 

Enjoy dinner with your family.  Cook with love and you will always have full stomachs and hearts. 

~Cheers!





Comments