Lasagna Bowl

So it's the middle of the week.  You've passed the 'hump' of the week, but you still have a couple days before you can actually enjoy the weekend.  What to do for dinner on a Wednesday?  Since it's been so hot we have been having a lot of summer meals lately, so I thought this week I would mix it up and throw in one of my most favorite fall meals - under my Comfort Food Category.

This would be my infamous Lasagna Bowl.  I originally got this idea from a picture I had seen a few years back and tried my hand at it.  My entire family instantly fell in love with this meal.  When they see it on the weekly family menu - they all look forward to Lasagna Bowl Night.

The whole theme to this meal is that it is supposed to taste like Lasagna, (without all the work of course).  So ... I got home from work, finished up a few work emails that needed to be done and then made my way to the kitchen.  Turned my iPhone on to my Pandora and did what I love to do most: cook.  Oddly enough this is my relaxation after a day at work.  I guess there could be worse habits to have ....

Okay ... so let's start at the beginning.  I take a few store short cuts on this one, but add a little spin to it.  Let me also start out by saying this entire meal cost $8.76.  Feeds 4 (or more because we always have left overs) so for 4 servings, this brings this meal out to $2.19 a plate.  PERFECT weeknight meal.

I took a pound of burger and browned.  Then added in some minced garlic, diced green bell pepper and one white onion.  Sauteed slightly with some salt and pepper to taste.



While this is getting all yummy and delicious, start your extra wide egg noodles in a pasta pot.  Don't forget to salt your water before putting in your pasta and a dash of canola oil to keep the pasta from sticking together while cooking.  Cook until al dente.




Now that your meat and veggies are cooked through, add a jar of red pasta sauce.  Use your favorite brand, (or make your own of course - I however took a store short cut, as Prego pasta sauce is on sale for $1.00/jar at Hy-Vee this week).  When using store bought sauce I just spice mine up a little by adding some red pepper flakes, garlic salt, Italian seasoning and Parmesan cheese.  For a creamier sauce add a little cream cheese and allow to melt into your sauce.



Once your extra wide egg noodles are cooked, drain and then add your choice of Alfredo sauce to the same pot.  Add your seasoning again to this.





Heat your sauce just slightly; remember your pasta is still hot from the cooking process, so it will also bring the sauce to temp.  Add your extra wide egg noodles into the pot and mix the sauce to coat the noodles completely.



And now ... here we are ... ready to plate up.  Due to the name of this meal I always serve in bowls - but to each his own.

I put a nice pile of the coated egg noodles in the bowl and make a little 'well' in the middle.  Then, I add my meat mixture into the middle.  The fun of this is to mix both the red pasta meat sauce into the alfredo sauced noodles - this creates the 'lasagna' taste.



This entire meal is made for under $10 and is one that I'm fairly certain your family will ask for again and again.  I'm already looking forward to left overs tomorrow for lunch.  YUM.

~Cheers!


Comments