Chicken Fajitas - Ole!

During Farmer's Market season I find it easy to become inspired by all the colors and great food that I see.  This time was no exception.  Finding beautifully colored bell peppers and fresh garlic all I could think of was fajitas.  Then I thought of margaritas to go with those.  But I digress. 

I love making fajitas because it's a quick meal and one that instantly brings everyone to the table.  I don't know if it's all the colors or the smells, but there is something that just screams, "EAT ME!"

Of course fajitas can contain any type of meat you want.  Some great options of course are

  • Shrimp
  • Steak
  • Chicken
  • Portabella Mushrooms (for a vegetarian option)
  • Pork
  • and on, and on, and on .... 
This week I chose chicken.  Only because that's what caught my eye at the butcher's counter at the store.  I start out by searing the meat.  Heat some vegetable oil and a couple heads of garlic in a skillet until hot - salt and pepper both sides of your chicken breasts and then place in the skillet.  Once you can smell the garlic, pull it out.  Nothing is worse than burnt garlic.  I'm putting the garlic cloves in at this point to just season my oil; no other reason. 


Chicken breasts take about 6 minutes per side to cook, depending of course on the thickness of the breasts.  A good tip is to split the breasts before cooking - this helps for more consistent cooking of the meat.  

While the breasts are starting to sear, you can cut up your veggies.  I chose white onions, green and red bell peppers and minced up 2 cloves of garlic.  Then I cut up some cilantro and cut one lime in half.  Set all this aside. 

Seasoning.  Of course the quick and easy way is to take the store short cut and get a package of fajita seasoning.  I make up my own and keep it in the cupboard.  In this mixture I make is:

  • Chili Powder
  • Garlic Powder
  • Cumin
  • Red Pepper flakes
  • Minced Dried Onion
  • Salt
  • Pepper
Flip the chicken and then add your seasoning.  Now, add all the veggies you prepared above all around.

 Allow to cook completely through, about another 6-8 minutes.  I toss the veggies around the chicken; I like a little bite to my veggies so I don't really let them cook that long.  To give some liquid to steam the veggies and chicken I do a mixture of the juice of one lime and about half a beer.  Preferably a Corona, (but this is simply my choice).  You will of course cook off the alcohol, but this is for flavor.  A good alternative is tequila.  I guess I should say that is the brave alternative!  Omit the beer/alcohol if you choose, I do this, again for flavor but also to moisten my chicken. 

Once everything is cooked through, now you can assemble.  I serve my fajitas with warmed flour tortillas, shredded cheese, low fat sour cream and an avocado mixture.  Take one avocado, put in a bowl, add some sea salt and about 2 tablespoons low fat sour cream - mix thoroughly.  This spread is also amazing on a turkey wrap! 

Serve up and prepare for the ohh's and ahh's from your family.  A quick and easy meal inspired by fresh ingredients.  I don't think it gets much better than that.

~Cheers!!

Comments