Shredded BBQ Chicken Sandwiches

When it's summertime the first thing that comes to my mind is bar-b-que.  Whether a nice slab of ribs, chicken or even pork you simply can't go wrong.  And let's just face it, everyone has their own 'secret' recipe to their BBQ.  I have tried different flavors, different meats and honestly there is no wrong way to make it. 

However my mantra is to make a fun, delicious meal for my family that we can all enjoy and that doesn't take me a whole bunch of time during the chaos of a work week.  I do my best to prepare a lot of my recipes on Sundays ... this way I can take the fuss out of my weeknight cooking.  This is one such recipe that you can make in advance and then stick in the fridge to have ready at a moments notice. 

Start out with boneless, skinless chicken thighs.  I love using thighs as I personally like dark meat and these are small enough that they cook fairly quickly. 

Take your chicken thighs and sprinkle with salt and pepper on both sides.  Heat a skillet up and when it's nice and hot, place your thighs in.  You want to sear the sides; not cook all the way through.  Once all your chicken is par-cooked, then simply transfer to an oven safe dish.  Take your BBQ sauce and pour an entire bottle over your chicken.  Make sure you coat all sides of the chicken.  Place in the oven at 325 degrees for about 30 minutes. 

Once done, remove from the oven and then take two forks and shred your chicken.  Mix well with the BBQ sauce that is still in the dish.  This is the point that you can allow to come completely to room temperature and then place in a covered dish for the fridge.  You can keep this and then when ready to use for dinner you can take out and place in the oven to bring back up to temp. 

Take your shredded chicken mixture and place on your favorite sandwich buns.  Serve with potato salad, coleslaw, chips or even grilled veggies.  For a different spin, place in a corn or flour tortilla and then roll up.  Pierce with a toothpick and fry in shallow oil for BBQ chicken flautas. 

Have fun with your BBQ ... after all, BBQ is the heart of the summertime. 

~Cheers!

Comments