Cozy, Warm Winter Meal

It's been a cold day.  The first thing that comes to my mind is a warm, cozy meal that I can make for my family that everyone will enjoy.  Now, to be honest, it will all depend on my mood.  Sometimes I want a specialty, like lasagna or baked ziti.  Other times I may want a tortilla soup.  Most times, however, my family will crave a homemade stew.  This is a meal that I can prepare that hits on all accounts.  It's hearty.  It's warm and comforting.  It's large enough to feed everyone and still have leftovers the next day.  And it's something that gives me great pride and joy to serve my family, as I know it is a well balanced meal.

Depending on what my store has that week, I will buy either pork or beef roast.  To be a little partial, I always hope for the pork roast, as I find with pork I can get it that much more tender and therefore gives you a 'melt in your mouth' appeal. 

The very first thing I do is to sear off my meat.  When doing my stew, I will buy a pork shoulder and then cut into bite size pieces.  I place them in a large bowl and then coat with salt and pepper.  Then I add flour.  Just enough flour to cover the meat pieces.  I mix with a large spoon until the meat is completely covered in flour.  Now, get your large stew pot or dutch oven nice and hot.  I usually put down about a tablespoon or so of olive oil in the bottom to just help 'get it all going.' 

Once your pot is nice and hot, drop in your pieces of meat.  Allow to cook until all edges are brown.  Then place on a paper towel and allow to rest.  While the pot is still nice and hot, I add in all my veggies, (these I have previously cut and peeled prior and have ready in a bowl to add in).  Of course, when cooking and shopping for my family I will buy according to the weekly grocery ads, so feel free to use whatever veggies you love, but my staples are:

  • Red or Yukon Gold potatoes, quartered
  • Once celery bunch, cut into pieces
  • Baby carrots that are already peeled, (this is where the grocery store saves me a step)
  • Two white onions, (I leave mine very roughly chopped, we like nice, large pieces of onion)
  • Three cloves of garlic just flattened out and roughly chopped
  • One bay leaf

Add all your ingredients in the hot pot and if you need to, add a little more olive oil to help to coat the bottom of the pan.  I usually let these warm through, then add one box of beef or chicken stock - reduced sodium.  I personally like to control my own salt in my cooking.  Then I add some dry spices:

  • Thyme
  • Rosemary
  • Garlic Powder

Now, add the meat back in and stir together.  Turn your heat down to a simmer and allow to simmer for as long as you like.  Of course, the longer you allow it to simmer, the more tender everything becomes, so this is all according to your likes/tastes. 




I serve mine with some rustic bread that I find at the bakery section ... something to sop up all the yummy goodness.  If you are in a time crunch or like to have that long cooked taste but have to work all day, of course use your crock pot.  This little miracle device is one that I cherish.  I still will sear my meat off first, but simply add all ingredients to the crock pot and allow to cook on low for 4 - 8 hours, you will still achieve the same great taste as if you slow cooked it on the stove. 

Winter months are fun in many ways .... but finding ways to incorporate my winter recipes is just an added bonus for me. 

Cheers!

Comments