Saturday Meal Plan ~ Loving the weekend

The weekend is something that is looked upon like a holiday in my house.  I work hard all week just so that I can enjoy every single minute of my weekend.  I'm already looking forward to next weekend; the holiday weekend.  If you are a loyal blog reader you will be in for a real treat as I have a GREAT plan for that holiday weekend - so make sure you add/follow me so that you can share in the fun too!

Saturday: normally a busy day in our home, however this weekend is going to be spent around the house having a good time.  This morning I wanted to make something different for breakfast, but use things that I already had in my pantry.  My work does this really great thing - once a week they hold a farmer's market; it is the most convenient thing, because between work, running errands, kids, appointments and whatever else is thrown our way during the week I always have time to stop and grab a few great goodies.  It never fails - the inspiration is always flowing when I go.  This week I picked up some great things and so my weekend food plans fell around some certain items. 

This weekend I wanted to start off on the right foot.  Breakfast: french toast with a blueberry & vodka reduction.  The inspiration: the fresh blueberries and walnuts I picked up at the farmer's market.  The french toast itself is just standard: whole wheat bread dipped in 5 eggs with cinnamon.  Spray a griddle with some non-stick canola oil spray and cook your french toast.  In a shallow skillet I took about 2 cups of fresh blueberries and put them in the non-stick skillet with some canola spray.  I allowed those to come to temp, and while they were I took my spatula and began crushing the blueberries.  I however like a little chunk still left to my sauce, so I didn't crush them all.  I then took a jigger of vodka and added that in along with 3 tablespoons of sugar sprinkled over the top.  To help brighten up the reduction I added the zest of one lemon.  Combine and then turn the heat down to a very low simmer.  With a reduction you really need to keep an eye on it.  If you let it reduce too long you will end up with a paste.  You don't want a paste, you want a nice balance between saucy and pasty.  Once you get your perfect consistency pull it off the heat and allow to cool slightly.  Finish cooking your french toast.  When mine come off I spread a light layer of butter over the top, then place on my plate.  I drizzle over the blueberry reduction sauce and then top with fresh walnuts.

  Up next on the day's agenda: lunch.  I always try and do a nice, light lunch.  Today I'm using what's on hand.  I have two chicken breasts with the bone.  I take a pot of water, fill it about half way up and then add my chicken breasts with about 3 whole garlic pieces and fresh rosemary that I picked up at the farmer's market.  Put a lid on the pot and allow to cook over medium high heat for about 2 hours.  I check on my chicken periodically and know it's ready when I can stick a fork into the breast and flake off the meat.  Once you get there, pull them out of the water and into a medium bowl.  Don't trash your broth!  Put it in a container and save in the fridge to add to another recipe, soup or even to make a great pan sauce. 

Shred the chicken from the bone with two forks.  Add some cumin, cilantro, the juice of one lime and mix with a spatula.  Put some plastic wrap over the top of the bowl and place in the fridge to allow the flavors to marry together.  Take some corn tortillas and warm in a 200 degree oven just until they are pliable.  Take your tortillas and place a small handful of your chicken mixture inside.  Roll up and put a toothpick through it to keep it from falling apart.  Set in a dish and finish rolling the rest until you run out of chicken.  Take a deep skillet and add some canola oil and bring to temperature.  Wait until your oil is hot: this is key.  Then, place your taquito's in and fry on both sides.  Remove and set on a paper towel to allow the excess grease to drain off.  To fancy it up a little I take my sour cream and zest some lime into it to give it a kick.  Serve with your lime flavored sour cream. 

Dinner. Ahh, dinner.  On a Saturday I usually plan a bigger meal, simply because I have more time in my evening to actually enjoy the cooking.  I love to cook.  Plain and simple.  It relaxes me.  It puts me in a great mood to sit and create something my family will love.  That is the most satisfying of all for me.  Tonight is sandwich night.  Daddy loves a great sandwich; it really is the cousin of meat and potatoes for him in our house.  Tonight we dine on a play on sausage and peppers.  Toasted chicken and pepper sandwiches with a tomato salad. 

Yes, I know ... it involves more chicken, but again the goal for today is to use what is on hand.  Take more chicken breasts and this time we are going to bake them.  Take your chicken breasts and dip in flour, then in egg, then in your topping.  I LOVE playing with breaded topping.  Today we are using garlic croutons from the pantry.  Take the croutons, place in a large ziplock bag and then crush with either a rolling pin or a large can.  Add to a shallow dipping dish along with some regular bread crumbs, 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese and tonight: fresh rosemary.  Mix with a fork.  Take a large glass baking dish and grease with non-stick canola oil spray.  Add your breaded chicken breasts and bake for about 20 minutes on 450 or until cooked through.  While those are cooking cut some bell peppers and white onion into strips.  Add to a greased skillet and add some Worcestershire sauce and a tablespoon of sugar, just to sweeten it up.  Saute until they still have some bite but are nice and cooked through.  Remove from heat.  Take another greased baking dish and add the bottoms of the hoagie rolls in the dish.  Put a chicken breast on the roll, add a slice of Munster cheese and then top with your peppers & onions.  I top with another 1/2 slice of Munster cheese and place the sandwiches under the broiler until the cheese is nice and bubbly.  Remove from the broiler and then put the tops of the buns on as soon as you take them out -- the melted cheese will act like glue.  YUM!

To make a side tomato salad, quarter some tomatoes and chop some basil.  Add a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and then my favorite; add a little cheese.  Depending on what you have on hand: here are my suggestions: feta, fresh mozzarella, queso fresco or even some blue cheese crumbles.  Toss together. 

And there you have it: a Saturday filled with great food.  Now, it's time for me to play with the baby in the sprinkler, do some craft projects around the house and enjoy the good life!

Question to my readers: what do you like about the site?  What kind of recipes would YOU like to see?  Leave me comments, suggestions or what YOU want! 

Cheers!

Comments