Homemade Pizza Night!

Sometimes all you want is to stay in, watch a movie and have a good night at home.  What's better on movie night than pizza?  I enjoy a delivery pizza just as much as the next person, however, there are times when I want to make my pizza my way.  And why not?  So much cheaper, so much better flavor and so much more fun to surprise your family with!

I take my store short cuts when I can, and one of my easiest and best ones is with the pizza crust.  I buy the refrigerated pizza crust and then form it to my 9 x 13 glass baking dish.  Spray the bottom with non-stick cooking spray and then lay your dough in.  Allow the dough to come to room temperature and then move it in your dish using your knuckles so that you don't pierce the dough.  I usually will allow the crust to come up the sides of the baking dish just a little to give me more of a 'pan' crust to my pizza.  Now comes the flavor.  I melt butter and add in some garlic salt and stir.  Then, take a brush and brush the entire crust with your garlic butter.  What's better than that??

This pizza is going to have what I happened to have in my pantry this week: bacon, mushrooms and onions.  At my work we have a farmer's market once a week; I show up early and am able to grab some great veggies - honestly I love the veggies there more than the ones from the store. 

While my crust is settling I add some Alfredo sauce to the dough as my sauce.  Not only do I prefer a white sauce over a red when it comes to pizza, but especially with these ingredients, you just have to go with a white sauce.  A good substitute would be ranch dressing as well. 

Next I sprinkle a little Italian Seasoning over the sauce along with some Oregano.  Now comes the fun part with the toppings.  Cut your bacon into pieces and fry until it's almost crisp.  Remove from the pan and leave some of the bacon grease; add your sliced mushrooms and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Once those are cooked slightly, remove and add your diced onions.  Again, flavor with salt and pepper.  Once they are cooked, remove and allow to cool slightly. 

Now you are ready to top.  Add your bacon, mushrooms and onions to your pizza crust.

Now you are ready to top with cheese.  I use a combination of shredded mozzarella and Parmesan. Then sprinkle more Italian seasoning and oregano over the top.  Bake at 350 degrees for about 13 - 15 minutes until your cheese is nice and bubbly.  Add a sprig of fresh parsley to garnish and serve!

Get creative and use different toppings, different sauces - experiment and have fun with your pizza!  There is truly no wrong way to make a homemade pizza!  Share some of your favorite combos with me!

Cheers!

Comments