Fresh Weeknight Flair!

I know all too well how it goes ... you get into a groove in the kitchen.  Each week as I compile my grocery store list and start thinking of meals for the week it never fails ... those same receipes come creeping back into my mind each and every week.  I'll be the first to admit that I fall into that trap from time to time.  I find myself trying to figure out if I just made this last week or not - then comes the devilish question: will my family even notice that they just had this five days ago?! 

Because of this weekly rabbit hole I try to keep quick and easy recipes at the ready - ones that will actually make everyone say wow, we need to have this again!  Slipped into the notes in my notebook or even saved recipes off my harddrive you will find these little weeknight gems.  I found them at times I was simply looking for a new recipe, or we were out to eat and thought to myself, 'I can make this at home.'   I will jot down ideas or full blown recipes whenever the mood strikes so you never know where I've hidden one of these surprises.

I think that by being the Executive Chef of your own kitchen is somewhat of a magically feat in and of itself.  Everyone usually turns to you when the question of 'what's for dinner' comes up inevitably when you are smack-dab in the middle of doing something.  You automatically become the go-to person for your family and yes, it comes with headache and stress at times.  There are subtle hints of genius hidden in this job description as well.  You are shaping how your kids will feed their own families when they eventually have them.  They will look back and mirror how you fed the family and how you always did your best to plan meals that everyone would at least somewhat enjoy.  This is a lot of pressure to have but in the end it's a blessing to know that you are in a sense, passing something important down to them.

Dinner is almost a sacred event in my home.  I feel that it's extremely important to have everyone sit down together to enjoy a meal at the end of the day.  It's time to connect and share.  It's time to discuss 'family' things.  Many of our cultures base emotional bonding with their family and friends over breaking bread.  There is something to be said for that ...


Last week as I was debating my daughter's birthday menu this appetizer popped into my head and I knew I'd have to share it for the amazing fact of how simple yet amazing it is.  Again, I do try and keep things exciting when it comes to deciding meals for my family and this is one of those that can wow not only your family, but your guests as well if you are entertaining.  Here are is my savory wonton recipe.

Take 1/2 cup whole milk ricotta cheese and mix in a large bowl with the zest of an orange, 2 tablespoons sugar, dash of salt, 1 box defrosted box of frozen spinach (drained of all the liquid after defrosting) and about 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract.  Once everything is mixed, take wonton wrappers, I usually find these in with the veggies at the grocery store by the fresh herbs and specialty items.  Take a wonton wrapper and brush around the outside edge with a beaten egg - this will be your 'glue' for keeping your wonton together.  Spoon a small portion of your ricotta mixture in the middle of your wrapper.  Fold over to create the 'moon shape' and seal the edges with your finger - pressing down so the entire edge is sealed.  Another trick is to use a fork to press down the edges to seal the goodness inside. 

One all your wontons are made, drop them about 2 - 3 at a time into a large saucepan that you have filled about 1/3 of the way up with Canola oil.  Make sure your oil is heated to about 375 degrees - if you put too many wontons in the oil at once it lowers your oil temp - therefore making your wonton's soggy with grease -- we don't want that.  Fry the wontons for about 30 seconds on each side until they reach a perfect light, golden brown color; drain on paper towels.  

A good dipping sauce is a great addition to these savory wontons.  A quick and easy simple syrup hinted with orange makes this a perfect compliment.  In a small saucepan, squeeze a large orange to extract as much juice as you can, then add one cup sugar.  Keep your heat on medium while you stir your ingredients until they come to a small boil.  Once you get to your boil, reduce your heat to low and cover - this will thicken your dipping sauce.  Simmer your mixture for about 5 minutes or until all your sugar has dissolved.  Remove from heat and allow to come to room tempature.  Add a small handful of chopped mint and serve with your savory wontons. 

This is a definate crowd pleaser if you are expecting guests and gives them a little something out of the ordinary.  Play around with your ingredients and create something fun for your next party. 

Cheers!

Comments