Chili Dog Casserole

Surfing through Pinterest can lead you to some pretty creative things.  This little recipe happens to be one of them.  It's one of those recipes you come across that you tell yourself, "hey, I can do that!"  And so you Pin it and probably never go back to it. 

This week in preparing my menu for my family I opened up my Pinterest Food Board (you can follow along with me here ) and started searching my pinned recipes.  I decided that this was the time to try this one.  And so ... here is my take on the Chili Dog Casserole. 

This is a recipe that is easy on your budget, easy to make and I bet that everyone will enjoy!  So simple I ask myself why I haven't made this before? 

Let's start at the beginning ...

So the ingredient list is pretty easy:
  • 1 package of hot dogs, (I would use bun-length)
  • 1 package of shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1 package of flour/wheat tortillas
  • 1 can of Hormel Chili with or without beans (your preference)
  • Green onions
  • 1/2 white onion
  • 1 roma tomato
First I started by cutting all my garnish and getting it ready to go.

So here you can see I have diced my roma tomato, 1/2 white onion and about 4 green onions.  Now I am ready to begin assembling my roll ups.

Take a hot dog, place in the middle of the tortilla and add a few sprinkles of white onion and some cheese.  (I had some white shredded cheese in the fridge so I added that to my cheddar just to give it some more kick)

Then you simply roll up like a burrito.  Have I mentioned this recipe was easy? 

Once you have all 8 hot dogs wrapped up you want to place in a baking dish sprayed with some cooking spray to avoid sticking.  If you didn't know there were hot dogs inside you could probably think these are burritos!  (wanna surprise the family?)

Then you add your Hormel Chili on top ...

Add the cheese ... and again you can see I added some of my white cheese to help it out a little. 

Place this in a pre-heated oven at 425 degrees for about 15 minutes ... long enough for your cheese to melt completely. 

Once out of the oven add the diced green onions and tomato to garnish.  It's THAT easy!! 

Served up and ready to dig in!!

I recommend giving this one a try.  The entire meal cost about $11 and feeds 4 people.  Break it down ... $2.75 a serving.  For an easy, cheap weeknight meal that everyone will enjoy - this is amazing!  The kids don't like the onions?  Only put the onions on your half.  Another fun step is to serve with a dollop of sour cream.  Enjoy dinner with your family ... after all, dinner is meant to be made with love and shared with those you care about. 

~Cheers!
Jacqui









Comments